Thursday 17 September 2009

Archive: The spotless mind of an Arttart 31 Oct 04

So I told a lie the other week and I did pop along to the opening of Frieze Artfair on the way to me rocker gig but do I wish I hadn't bothered, I mean queue in the rain, who do they think we are? Mere mortals! There I was dolled up in me glam gear, boots up to my ears, when we approached the entrance, by george were we greeted by wet unhappy F.A.F attendants with rather large brollies attempting to herd all oncoming VIP invitee traffic to the rather long queue. Yes Arttart kiddies, I went to have a look and no, I say we will not queue in the rain for what I hear was an over bulging opening with barely any room to breath. Am sure some may contest this opinion and say the queue did move rather fast but I didn't hang around to find out!

Come Friday, well even when it rains it pours in the artworld. It truly bucketed it down for the opening at Zoo. Norman Rosenthal really did well to make it not only to the opening but then to head back into town and catch up with father to be Max Wigram at the opening of Expander at the new RA Burlington Gardens space. Brimming with Arttart totty, a fabulous array of art and a few celebs, the evening swirled into a Galliano cocktail haze.

With hardly any art opening energy to spare, I stayed in bed while breakfast was served at Sketch and just about hauled myself up for the Millers Terrace, Oliver Payne and Nick Relph ornately patterned mirrored exhibition experience. All huddled under some tarpaulin, more alcohol glugging was had. ‘Did you go to this, I went to that' competitions were flitting around as the Arttart army moved round the corner to yet another over flowing after party at the local pub. Bring on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would have thought that we would have had enough come last Monday yet the week kicked off with the Franz Ferdinand curated night at Scala. A real mixture from van footed mod, to jungle animal chanting Bobby Conn, to hand me the ear plugs, The Kills. It was good to see Javis C and his lady sitting on the floor downstairs roughing it like the rest of us although I think some hardcore fans were a little confused at the avant garde attempt line up.

The straight in on Tuesday, Eagerly awaiting, early art snooper's stood waiting for Tate B to open its doors for the Turner Prize. Herding seems to be flavour of the month as we trailed like farm animals into the galleries. Mmmmmmmm, not sure about this one, already been a lot of scepticism. My money is on Yinka Shonibare with his headless girl on ‘The Swing after Fragonard'. Good to see the old masters influencing the C21 art stars.

Now keep your eyes peeled for the Arttart web site coming soon and yes some more stories from the plethora of art party invites I receive. xxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment